Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Battle For Facebook - MMLit

             I've never met Mark Zuckerberg, nor have I ever wanted to, but after reading this article I hope I never do.  He sounds like a terrible person, who may or may not have broken multiple laws to get to where he is today.  In summation I think it is terrible that there are people who would abandon and betray others, some who are supposed to be your closest friends, in order to gain success and fame.  I actually started getting pretty upset while I was reading the article.  A quote from the article that stuck out the most to me was actually a quote from James Boyle the co-founder of the Center for the Study of the Public Domain at Duke Law School.  He said, "There are lots of things that an average person might consider reprehensible that aren't against the law."  Our morals and values should go further than what the laws provides us with and Zuckerberg's clearly don't.  
            The technology aspect of the article is pretty amazing though, you use facebook easily enough that you never really think about the time and effort that it might have taken to program the site itself.  Much like Marcus (must be the name) in Little Brother, Zuckerberg was a natural when it came to getting computers to work for him.  They both used technology so seamlessly it is no wonder they each found success in their own ways.  I'm not much help when it comes to computers, I can really only do pretty basic things with them.  As this class progresses I find myself becoming more interested in blogging and using similar sites, so we'll see what happens to my computer IQ by the end.  
           From this article I take more of lesson on morals then technology, but in Zuckerberg's case these things seem to go hand in hand.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about Zuckerberg. He is a giant jerk. It makes me sad that some people can give up their friends so easily for money and fame. It will be interesting to see hi life in a few years when he has burned all his bridges.

    ReplyDelete