Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pleasure Reading - MMLit

For this pleasure reading I wanted to share two movies that I have watched recently and throughly enjoyed.  The first is called Tell No One, a French film from 2006 based on a book by American author Harlan Coben.  I've never read any of Coben's novels, in fact before I saw this movie I had never even heard of him, here is a link to his website for more information http://www.harlancoben.com/.  After having read more about him and based on how much I liked the film I just might look into reading some of his books.  The plot of the movie is a complicated one, it's a thriller first and foremost, but beneath the surface it's more like an intense love story.  A man's wife is murdered and eight years later he receives and e-mail that makes him believe she is still alive, what follows is one of the most emotional rides I have ever been on.  Most of this emotion is drawn from the soundtrack, which includes Otis Redding, Jeff Buckley, and U2.  Now I am a huge Jeff Buckley fan, he could do no wrong in my book, and when his version of "Lilac Wine" started playing in the movie in felt like it was the reason the song was written, it matched the movie so perfectly.  After watching the movie it immediately moved into my top 10 maybe even top 5 of the best movies I've ever seen.  I highly recommend it to fans of Hitchcock and anyone just looking to enjoy a well written, acted, and made film. Here's the trailer, it does include some nudity so just a heads up.

The next movie is called The Signal, and the genre it belongs to is even harder to pinpoint.  Often times funny, scary, bloody, with a touch of mind bending science fiction and romance thrown in, it's impossible to actually categorize this movie.  A mysterious signal is being transmitted through people phones, televisions, and radios making them become very violent.  I think it's summed up best by a line from the movie.  "There's a bad sector in the electromagnetic spectrum which is causing a rift in logical thinking. Rational behavior has given way to primal... primordial action. We've reached a critical juncture in the consistency of everyday living. Societal norms are being completely abandoned. Anarchy has replaced etiquette. Chaos is the ruling class of this civilization, so I think coming to a goddamn New Years Eve party is the last thing on people's minds!"

The trailer makes the movie out to be strictly a thriller, but don't let it fool you although the movie is very thrilling the thrills are smoothed out with dark humor and great characters.


So that's what my pleasure "reading" has been for the past week.  Two movies that I really liked and just so happen to have quite a bit to do with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment