Friday, April 1, 2011

I'm So Totally, Digitally Close to You, You're Leaving a Digital Trail

     I have a twitter and a facebook.  I use facebook at least once a day and twitter probably more like once a week.  When I say use I basically mean look at, because I rarely ever actually post anything on either site.  I understand the sites values and why it is so easy to become addicted to them, but that doesn't mean I have to go along with it.  The ideas presented in the first article I find very unsettling to be honest.  So these sites make you feel closer to your friends?  Ok, I guess.  Maybe it's just the anti-social person in me, but I really don't care about the mundane details of my "friends" lives.  I rarely see the people in my friends list anymore, a more appropriate name should be acquaintances list, because in all honesty how many of those people are actually your close friends.  I have nothing against the people who use social networking sites on a regular basis, in fact I even get jealous of people who get more posts than me, but that's life.  
     So I read "Digitally Close to You" and then moved onto "Digital Trail" and at first I didn't think much of the article, like ok who wouldn't take a free phone for the loss of privacy.  Then it got into all of the new things google and apple were trying and I began to feel a little outdated.  I don't have a smart phone, heck my phone can't even receive picture mail or get on the internet.  I have it to make calls and send texts, with an occasional picture thrown in there every now and again.  After I read this article I felt the need to update, but the lack of funds prevented me.  Money versus social awareness.  Money almost always wins.  
     Technology can be good and technology can be bad I can see both sides of the argument, but until some of the new tech is forced upon me I'll stick with what I know and am comfortable with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment