Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chapter 8 Extending Meaning: After-Reading Strategies

During-reading is not the only important part of understanding the text.  After-reading strategies are just as crucial.  The text gives us a pretty thorough list of what to do after the text is finished being read.  The list doesn't leave much out from what I can tell and is quite helpful.  I especially like the Somebody Wanted But So strategy.  Any activity that allows the students to figure something out for themselves is a good thing in my opinion, especially when each answer is going to be different from everyone else's.  But the other strategies cannot be ignored, much like I said in my last post everyone learns things in a different way and the strategies in this chapter offer a wide variety of strategies, I'm actually really impressed with some of them and how someone was able to come up with the idea.  Like with text reformulation, I'm sure a lot of people do this when explaining something, but I would never have thought of it as a reading strategy. Some of these ideas just come naturally, but when you read about them it helps put them into more of an educational perspective.  It helps make them easier to explain and you actually know what it is you are trying to teach.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jared! I also enjoyed the SWBS strategy. I thought it was cool how one of the events could lead to another and another to help the students better understand the plot of their text. I noticed how you said that some of these ideas just come naturally, but through reading this text I've realized that they don't come naturally to everyone! I think that through this class we're going to really be confronted with the fact that reading doesn't just come naturally. It's such a hard thing to realize because I love reading so much that I can't see how someone can't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SWBS strategy seems to be a very good way to get students thinking. I couldn't agree more that thinking for themselves is very important.Also I couldn't agree more that even though one strategy is good the others shouldn't be left alone. Like you said different readers need different ways to learn and understand information.

    ReplyDelete