Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chapter 3 Assessing Dependent Readers' Needs

This chapter was all about the lists.  With a total of four lists and two charts, they definitely stole the show.  it goes to show how important organization is especially for a teacher.  Teaching objectives become so complicated how are you supposed to keep track of everything and Beers shows you one of the best ways to do so, lists.  I know I will personally refer back to the If-Then chart on page 32 if the need should ever arise.
This chapter always informed me of how much there is to consider when dealing with a dependent reader.  Half the things on these lists I probably never would have thought of until I had been teaching for a while.  The other half I was aware of but maybe not to how important they were or how much enfaces should be put on them.
A perfect example of this is the section "what good readers do."  The section is full of things that I just cannot see registering in my mind.  Sure I am aware that students should be able to do these things, but when it comes to the students who can't how do I solve this problem.
As a teacher assessing a dependent reader's needs is definitely a crucial component.  We all want our students to become the best that they are capable of, and being a independent reader will help them achieve in many different areas.  Thats why chapter three is so important without the knowledge of how to assess these kids we would not know how to help them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% about the If-Then Chart. I think every good Language Arts teacher should know where on this chart each and every one of their students are. Once you know where on the chart the kids are it will be easier to know how to go about getting them to be better readers.

    ReplyDelete